A blood test is when a sample of blood is taken for testing in a laboratory. Blood tests have a wide range of uses and are one of the most common types of medical test. For example, a blood test can be used to:
- assess your general state of health
- confirm the presence of a bacterial or viral infection
- see how well certain organs, such as the liver and kidneys, are functioning
A blood test usually involves the phlebotomist taking a blood sample from a blood vessel in your arm.
If you have been asked by your practice or clinician to have a blood test to be undertaken you will need to book your appointments directly with the Phlebotomy Service at RSH - Routine appointments can be booked online please follow the link for further details https://www.sath.nhs.uk/.../phlebotomy/book-a-blood-test/... For urgent blood tests or for those that dont have access to online booking please telephone 01743 492510.
The nearest venue for phlebotomy is at Elizabeth House, which can be found on the site of the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. Currently due to COVID they are not accepting any walk in patients and therefore is currently operating an appointment only service.
If you have any further questions please contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital on 01743 261000 or alternatively email PALS@sath.nhs.uk
New online booking service for booking your blood test.
From 19 July 2021, The Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust (SaTH) will be introducing a new online booking service for patients requiring blood tests.
This will be a patient self-booking service which will be available 24/7.
It will operate alongside the current telephone booking line to offer choice and improved access to booking blood tests for patients.
To use the online booking system – accessed via the SaTH website – patients will need their NHS number and an email address.
You can book an appointment online by following the link www.sath.nhs.net/bloodtests from 19 July. You will not be able to book online before that date.
The current telephone Booking Line - 01743 492510 - will still be available for:
- Patients below 16-years-old
- Patients whose blood form clearly states ‘urgent’
- Patients whose blood form states ‘fasting’
- Patients who require an urgent blood test for Warfarin monitoring within 48 hours
- Patients who are unable to book through the online booking system
- Any paediatric bloods for Telford GPs, patients should contact Donnington services to book blood tests on 01743 450855
The telephone Booking Line is open Monday-Friday between 9am and 4pm (excluding public bank holidays).
Any patient experiencing any problems with the online booking system can contact 01743 492510